Sunday, April 19, 2009

Headwind

Another big bike ride today - 90km, this time via Old Buck and Bungay.

Leg 1 - 28km to Old Buck, 1 hr exactly, 28km/hr. Meet Rob, who's done the same from Shipdham, with a headwind. I noticed a bit of breeze but couldn't say I had been struggling so far. So far.

Leg 2 - 37km to Bungay, 1:23, 26.6km/hr taking the overall average to 27.2. As this was in pretty much the same direction as Rob had come, there was a definite headwind. And one or two hills. But also some good roads where you could at least keep it rolling. At Bungay we refuelled with a bacon butty and waited for Trish and others to complete the half marathon.

Leg 3 - 25km back home, about 1:07, 24.2km/h. I accidentally reset my computer when leaving, and in the confusion forgot to check the sensor was in place until about 5 minutes up the road, so lost a little bit. Took the back roads through Thwaite, Seething and Brooke to pick up the main road a bit later on - my legs were really feeling it so I was glad I wasn't trying to contend with faster traffic until I'd warmed up. Even stopped and raised my saddle about another inch or so, but whether it helped I can't say! Didn't hinder so I have kept it for now. Back roads were very pretty, quiet, held a few nasty hill surprises, and were devoid of any signposts to Brooke! Made it on instinct though.

A glorious day, good to be out, but that last 25km was hard work. The first 15 of the last 25 was the worst, I think the break at the race finish was possibly a bad idea, but live and learn.

Punctures were a pain - one slow around Tibenham (37k), fixed thanks to Rob's magic CO2 device. Needed another top up at Flixton (58k) and then it was getting flat again by Bungay (64k), so I changed the tube. That got me home, aided by the talisman of borrowing the CO2 widget. Must get one of those and replace Rob's cylinder - forget pumps.


When I got home, I went out for a run. It wasn't really a brick, as I put the bike away, had a pit stop (where I drank far too much, d'oh) and then set out, but the legs were still complaining a bit. Trundled down to Lizzie's as I thought they might be in the garden on a lovely day like this - no sign, but then there she was just going for a run! So we ran together up to Church Lane and down to Waitrose, which made my 20 mins and I walked home (OK, jogged down Marston Lane at the end). Added up to 3.2km, so 10 min miles - pretty comfortable. The orthotics seem to be settling in well. I had minimal discomfort this morning (2 mins after getting out of bed, maybe), then some stiffness after sitting on the sofa post-run today but by bedtime it all seemed fine.

No comments: