Saturday, April 18, 2009

Annoying swim, another run

Off to the pool this morning for my usual Saturday swim. I got in a lane with some people doing a similar speed to me. I haven't been over Easter due to pool closure and other stuff, and I just wanted to swim steadily for an hour and see how far I got, no sprints or efforts or drills.

After about 40 minutes of steady swimming, the lane had lost most of my original companions and acquired about five slower swimmers who had no clue about letting faster swimmers past at the end! And they were spread out so that I couldn't overtake, and even if I turned early to get ahead, I just caught up with the next one.

I checked the other 3 lanes - one full of crazy fast dudes, two with a sprinkling of equally slow swimmers as my lane. Why can't people get in the lane with people going a similar speed, rather than going for the one with "most space"?? I got so frustrated, I got out and stomped off to shower and change, cutting my planned session short by a third. 100m warm up and 1600m in 40 minutes including all the dawdling and faffing. 2:30 for 100m! FFS.

Later on I went for my 15 minutes in the lovely spring sunshine. I could feel yesterday in my foot for a short while when I got up this morning, but it wore off sooon enough. Since today's run again I can feel a little bit, but not sure what choice I have. The orthotics are wearing in well, I kept them in for a good hour or more after the run and they feel fine. I'll try for 20 mins tomorrow and see how we go.

No comments: