Monday, April 7, 2008

Pain in the backside

Schedule: bike 55 mins inc 20 @ threshold.

I did this in the gym. Ouch. The bike seats are enormous and really not very comfortable (duh - how do they expect people to get fit?). My backside now aches. A lot. The pedals were annoying too - I miss my SPDs! Also I forgot a towel so I got very sweaty. I suppose at least I didn't get cramp!

I did 15 mins @ HR 130-140, then 20 @ 150-160 (threshold), then 20 @ 130-150. I was pleased with the session but I didn't enjoy all the fidgeting to try (in vain) to get comfortable.

Interesting that I don't get anywhere near max HR on the bike before my legs complain whereas in the run I can hit and maintain 170-180. (That said I think I topped 180 going up Skeet's Hill once.) I occasionally went over 160 today but the bike flashed "High Heart Rate!" and my thighs started burning whenever I did, so I slowed down... had it been more comfortable to ride maybe I could have pushed it a bit more. I must take the HRM on an effort session to find out my max!

After that I ran with the beginners on 3 x 12 + 3, starting in the rain. We looped around Eaton Park, which was a nice change. Mark made it through the 36 mins and reckons he could have done the lot non-stop! We shall see, but I like the attitude :)

No comments: