Friday, April 11, 2008

Chop and change

Since Wednesday's scheduled "swim" session was more like drills, I spent today's scheduled drill session just swimming :)

Warmed up (400m) then set the watch to 37s reps. Started trying to do a pyramid (1-1-2-4-6-8-6-4-2-1-1) but got as far as the first 4 and hit traffic. I had deliberately got in with a slow swimmer, figuring that I could at least overtake him fairly easily when needed, but two other guys got into the lane, making that impossible. The other lanes were pretty full too, so no point in swapping.

If I gave the other guys a suitable head start, I could just about fit 4 lengths in before getting caught up, so I did several (6 or so - lost count as I stopped and reset the watch a few times) 4-length sets, the best coming in with 26 secs remaining on the 4th 37-sec rep. That makes ((4 x 37)- 26) = 2 mins 2 secs. After that I did several 2-length sets and a cool down. When I got stuck behind someone in the main swim I just slowed down and focused on technique. Overall the technique felt good and I was concentrating on kicking from the hips, and rotating with each stroke not just for breathing. Both of those still fail me when I don't concentrate!

Total was 40 mins, didn't count lengths but must have been 50-60 overall.

No comments: