Tuesday, February 8, 2011

No overtaking


prohibido adelantar

The pool was crazily crowded today. I feel like kind of a whiner for saying that - there were only 2 other people in my lane, because as usual there were 8 deep water lanes open as well as a whole shallow pool - but with 2 or more people in every lane, that's busier than I've ever seen it on a lunchtime.

The downside is that it cuts overtaking as there's usually someone coming towards me as well as the person I am trying to overtake. And also people get a bit miffed at the apparent faffing involved in swimming efforts. All that fast-then-slow business means they can overtake you one length and have you nipping at their heels the next, or it looks like you wait, let them turn and go, and then swim up behind them just to be annoying.

Aaand in any case, I forgot to check what set I was supposed to be doing :S I had meant to run, as it was such a nice day, but being a doofus I brought 2 tops and no tights so that was out. In the rush to do something with my lunchtime, I was soon up to the pool without watch, float, or indeed a clue. I did what I could - no rests as such, and no overtaking, but various combinations of fast/slow as traffic allowed.I ache enough to be moderately pleased with the session :)

What I learned today: the showers run much hotter when there are more people using them. Huh?

Photo: prohibido adelantar by Neil Wykes, on Flickr

No comments: