Monday, February 7, 2011

Mixing it up

The joys of sweeties!

Nothing radical, mind. Just a good excuse for a blog title and another pretty Creative Commons photo :)

The gym was busy today. I only went in for free weights, core strength, and with a vague hope of adding lat pulldowns to my routine (which I can only do on a machine). After my warmup on the rower (5 mins : 1999m (!) ) there were SIX people vying for space at the small free-weights area, but I managed to sneak in at the cable jungle for triceps (3x12 @ 15kg). After that, the lats machine was still busy, the free weights area was still too crowded, so time for.... planks (3x25s and feeling strong - wahey). In fact I did my whole mat set right there towards the start of the session and it felt really good. I upped my (half) press-ups to 3x10 (from 8 or 9), nailed the russian twists, and got through the abs as 3x20.

At this point the weights area was magically free, so I went over there and interspersed static lunges (3x12 e/s) with bicep curls (3x10 @ 7kg, rah), and squats (3x12) with lateral raises (3x10 @ 4kg, just). I thought I might suffer from leaving them until last, but they were no better or worse than usual - so maybe this order is worth keeping. Never did get to the lats, but hey.

(Yes, I am too wussy to go and mix it with the big boys in the back weights room. I might die of testosterone poisoning...)

What I learned today: I'm a technique snob on the rowing machine.
Soundtrack: P!nk - Greatest Hits

Photo: The joys of sweeties! by Ali A, on Flickr

No comments: