Sunday, March 16, 2008

Beyond expectations

Schedule: Half marathon, RPI 10/10, 1:58:00

Actual: Broadland half marathon, RPI 10/10, 1:59:02

Course: "undulating". Conditions: wet and windy! Previous half PB: 2:02:42. Previous time on this course: 2:08:39

Not bad for a morning's work :) Although I followed a sub-2hr schedule, it was more in hope than expectation, especially when I saw the conditions today. So I really was amazed to do the time I did, although of course I had my watch and so could see that it was working out to be a good run. The amazing bit was seeing the miles go past so consistently! Mile splits:

8:53 - 8:56 - 8:58 - 8:51 - 8:39 - 9:00
9:02 - 8:59 - 9:09 - 9:40 - 9:13 - 9:38 - 9:07

Quick mile 5 included most of the long downhill from Woodbastwick to Salhouse; slow mile 10 included the third water station and the only significant headwind; mile 12 included a couple of nasty little hills. Even though it was a windy day, most of the course is sheltered by hedges and it was rare to be buffeted for more than a few seconds.

Apart from miles 10 and 12, I felt really good and just settled into my pace; in mile 10 I think I was also suffering from not having drunk or had sugar at the expected 6 mile water station (they ran out - !!), which also meant I walked a little to properly take on both at the one just after 9 miles. Mile 12 is a bit soul destroying as you pass the direct route to the village hall and climb a hill along a (relatively) main road before looping back - it also starts and more or less finishes with short, steep climbs. Mile 12 into mile 13 is the longest stretch without hedges, so you have the sidewind whipping your breath away, but you then get a downhill when you leave the main road, and of course the scent of the finish, so I guess that compensates!

The weather wasn't great but I survived in short sleeves/legs, and would only have rolled up long sleeves/tights! I was cold on my skin when I finished, but not chilled through. Oh, and despite short toenails I went through both of my socks. Grr.

The hills weren't quite as bad as I remembered - they were there, but doable, and certainly balanced by downhills. Definitely better than last time, this is actually a really attractive route and a lovely race. I'd probably do it again :) However, possibly the best and most amusing aspect was that I finished while the Conac support crew had nipped inside for a cuppa, clearly thinking that I wouldn't be finishing just yet. Ha!

RW event rating

No comments: