Sunday, March 2, 2008

First duathlon

Still pretty windy today, and blowing such that it was a head- or sidewind for 90% of the bike route, although at least the run lap was half and half. Unfortunately the headwind was on the homeward half!

I started with a good run, too quick if anything at 18:30 for the 3.5k (according to GMaps) but I ran out with a tail wind and alongside Ross who pulled me along for a while. After turning into the headwind I realised my stupidity and slowed down, so goodness knows what pace the first half was if I still made 18:30.

The bike route was simple enough after navigating out of Whitlingham Park, up the Stoke road to Saxlingham Nethergate, and then looping back on the back roads to join the Stoke road again. With the wind from the side that was a bit of a slog - it was even blowing down Skeet's Hill (which we cycled up), which was a bit cruel. Just a shade over the hour for the bike plus T1 (1:00:14) so that was pretty good considering the wind. Average speed of over 15mph was bumped up by several downhills and the one nice fast tailwind section.

I didn't have jelly legs for the second run, so much as just being pretty knackered overall. With the wind all the way on the bike, there was no chance to cruise, it was just push push all the way. It felt like I was baby-stepping around the lake, and hardly moving after I turned into the wind! Added 3:30 to my first run time (although including T2 as well) to make 22:00 or so, total time 1:40:48.

Cycled there and back as well :)

No comments: