Sunday, February 3, 2008

Loooooong run

With the Great East Run approaching, I've done precious little in the way of long runs, so a couple of hours in Thetford Forest sounded ideal. Marie, Kate, Rob and I did twelve miles from Hockham car park, using the Pingo Trail, NCN 13, and the Peddar's Way to make an out-and-back route. Kate had her GPS and made it 11.75 miles back to the car park (she and Marie made up the quarter mile - I didn't!), but Google Maps has it as more, 12.75. That's quite a difference so I am tempted to check it on GIS at work. Coming back was mostly a straight line and we had the wind against us for a lot of it - that was pretty tough going. I reached the car park in 1:59:59 by my watch! That makes the average pace 10:12 or 9:44 per mile depending whose distance is right. [Edit - GIS supports the GMap distance of 12.75 miles.]

No doubt about it, it was a hard run for me and I was really feeling it by the end (last 3 miles). We had a little break at the turn around, and another little one at about 2 miles waiting for Rob, but I was still barely moving by the end. Three jelly babies and a bottle of water turned out to be a lifesaver, and next time I will start them earlier.

I definitely need to do the same distance next weekend. Otherwise the GER is going to be pretty tough...

Yay: I fitted my new pedals to my bike.
Boo: I put my big toenail through one of my new socks (it's not like it's very long either).

No comments: