Sunday, February 10, 2008

Duathlon cop out

Full of enthusiasm, I changed my pedals for the SPDs yesterday. Then was too petrified to cycle around the street. I finally got going, and it was kind of OK, but I needed moral support (from accompanying SPD-using cyclists - sorry Mark!). Following a panicky text, Clare kindly phoned to talk me through a few things, but with neither her nor anyone else doing the duathlon I was still feeling a bit nervous. When she explained the route out of Whitlingham (from the outdoor centre to the road) was along the potholed, gravelly path that we start the 10k on, I felt even less enthusiastic. I realised I didn't know the full route and it wouldn't be signed either. Sunday dawned cold and frosty, and that was enough - I stayed in bed.

For my first ride with these I need a nice relaxed ride, not against the clock and trying to remember the route, with people to ride alongside. So not a duathlon! I felt a bit of a pleb for missing it, but happier than if I had gone out and injured myself.

Ho hum. Onwards and upwards.

No comments: