Monday, January 28, 2008

Reliability ride

(Still no wiser as to what's so reliable about it!)

Out to the airport, then 50 ish miles via Holt and Cromer, finishing at Old Catton for tea and cake, then home again. 16.1mph average for the 48.4 miles of the main run. Then a 10 minute run just for the hell of it.

An enjoyable ride, bit windy on the open roads but not too bad. Lovely sunshine, and not too cold (my feet disagree, but they weren't working like the rest of me). I'm not a big fan of the main roads, though, and definitely enjoyed the last bit on minor roads the most - although it is good to get some fast riding in. The Holt road was better than the main coast road or the A140. Plenty of potholes and rubbish roads, though (but no punctures apart from one for Rosie on the way out to the airport). Riding two abreast for safety and visibility seems sensible to us but not necessarily to some motorists, and I can do without the close following and roaring around to overtake before it's quite safe.

No problems on my bike, despite having dismantled and reassembled various bits of it yesterday on the maintenance course. Felt very comfortable by the end of the day, it's good to get used to it again. Now I just need to fit my shiny new puncture-protection (and blue!) skinny tyres, get some shoes and change my pedals.

The run afterwards wasn't too bad, but we had already stopped for tea and cake, and then just cycled home, so my legs weren't too jelly like. I have problems getting up the golf course track at the best of times!

No comments: