Sunday, October 14, 2007

To Thetford, at last!

Sunday dawned a bit misty, and, as far as I was concerned, a bit late. Stupidly I had thought I would set off at 7am to give me 2-2.5 hrs to make it to Effie and Karl's, however sunrise being about 7:30 meant I was either (a) unavoidably delayed or (b) able to enjoy half an hour's lie in, depending on your point of view.

Anyway, I was on the road at 7:31, saw the sun rise as a watery orange sphere while I was crossing Roundhouse Way, and then it largely disappeared behind some cloudy misty stuff for the next ten miles or so, except to send rays through the woods at Hargham Heath, picking out the deer and squirrels. By Quidenham there was a break in the clouds and from then on it was really rather nice.

Quidenham saw a sudden glut of old cars - must have been a rally somewhere - and my highest speed on the trip, 29.8mph (so close!!) on a good downhill. That made up for being stopped by a train at the only level crossing on the route (Eccles Road)... The only other notable things were that Brettenham was a bit stinky (thanks to a huge manure heap, which also meant there were plenty of flies pinging off my glasses) and Kilverstone also smelled, but of fresh coriander.

I drew up at Effie and Karl's, after 30.9 miles, in 1:53, average 16.2mph. Not bad - certainly tiring and not quite as flowing as other rides, but it's the first serious bike ride in over a month, and with having run yesterday I think that's OK.

Eaton - Hethersett - Wymondham - Besthorpe - Attleborough - Hargham - Eccles Road - Quidenham - East Harling - Bridgham - Brettenham - Kilverstone - Thetford

No comments: