Saturday, May 17, 2008

Open water newbie

First big question - could I still get into the wetsuit? Answer: yes. Phew!

Next big question - what's the water like? Answer: 15 degrees. Not too bad (at least, not with the wetsuit) but cold enough.

So, I made it through my first time in the lake at Whitlingham, not too bad although it had its moments. Definitely a world away from the chlorinated, crystal clear haven of the pool! Although this was a novice session, there wasn't as much time as I would have liked spent acclimatising, getting used to wetsuit buoyancy and just generally what it's like to be in the water. We seemed to spend a few short minutes getting in and dunking ourselves, and then it was straight on to the swimming, although only short distances.

The water falls into three categories: murky (over the muddy bit near the decking of the education centre), clear with visible weeds, and clear-ish (I assume) but too deep to see anything below. The first is sort of OK, the second is fine, but I find the third a bit freaky and it may take some getting used to. Swimming over the weeds is fine and I can almost swim normally - breathing on three strokes, heading more or less straight. Once into the deeper stuff I'm panicking a touch, breathing on two, getting breathless and curving to whichever side I am breathing on (usually the left).

I thought I'd be more squeamish about bare feet on the bottom than I was - soft mud is not especially pleasant, but neither that, weeds, stones or pebbles were really so bad. I guess it's because I'm not really putting my weight on my feet. Getting out on to the decking isn't very easy (dignity? what dignity?) but I made it. For next time I think I need another pair of goggles (i.e. one pool, one lake), and to take the funny stinky swim hat from Waveney for extra insulation (it's quite a thick one). I'm also wondering if I can overcome my dislike of nose clips.

I'm kind of looking forward to next time, just as long as I can take it at my own pace. I know the only thing that will improve my confidence is practice. I need to go to the early (non-novice) session next week, but Marie has kindly said she will swim with me and we can take it slowly.

Seven weeks to Norwich Tri!!

Edit: useful open-water newbie links: About.com Tri247

No comments: