Saturday, May 24, 2008

Open water - going long

I couldn't make the novice session tonight so joined the big boys and girls this morning, and swam with Lucy who I know a bit from Wednesdays, freeing Marie up to swim with someone faster. I innocently asked how far we were going (remember I went about this far before) and she pointed to a tiny yellow blob in the distance: "there and back". A full 1500m swim (or possibly not quite, according to Google Maps). Hmm.

I figured I'd just go for it (no point struggling into a wetsuit for nothing), Lucy was happy to take it easy so off we went. The water is much colder in the morning, which didn't help, and it took me about half of the "out" lap to really calm down and get swimming. I found that every time I immersed my face I wanted to gasp - not a good plan. I wasn't enjoying it at all for those 300m and was wondering whether I should turn back (plus questioning my decision to enter Norwich!), but decided it wouldn't beat me and I would make it no matter how slowly. I really couldn't settle to freestyle so I tried breast stroke, ducking my head each time. That helped a bit, but it was only after we'd decided to tread water for a minute or so that I really had time to catch my breath and start off properly. After that it was plain sailing!

We made it to the yellow buoy (which was actually huge), paused for a moment or two, and then swam back. I actually found that, once I was in the flow of things, I was a bit quicker than Lucy, so it was good to be able to slow down and concentrate on acclimatising without worrying that I was annoying someone by being slow. Taking it easy helped me enjoy it, and by the end I probably would have been happy to go round again (OK, maybe not, but I was having fun!). No idea of the time but I was happy just to get round. I don't even know what I can do in the pool for 1500m!

Also this week I remembered to take a second hat, and bought some new goggles from Wiggle (practically a mask), although I had to tear off up to the sorting office to get them before the swim. It was worth it, though, as they were much better than the others.

No comments: