Monday, July 16, 2007

First swim "on my own"

First time in the pool since my first swimming session/lesson last week. That one session brought up several things to work on:

- slower kicking (currently I kick way too fast and tire myself out)
- hands entering the water correctly (at an angle, thumbs first)
- hands pulling all the way back
- rotating the body with each arm stroke and especially when breathing

(However, I was good enough to move up from the basic session to the next level next week - hurrah!)

Having bought myself a kickboard and pull buoy, I took the board to the Sportspark pool this lunchtime to try and concentrate on a slower, more efficient kick from the hip. (I think the pull buoy can wait until I've learned some drills for that!) It's surprising how slowly I go without the arms - and surprising what little benefit (in terms of speed) I get from kicking too fast. I just need to practice enough so that the slower kick becomes natural - I notice that as soon as I concentrate on other things, it speeds up again! As well as some lengths with the board, just kicking, I did several lengths of the whole stroke, and it's already feeling easier and more manageable. The triathlon needs 16 lengths, and I can manage 3 or 4 consecutively at the moment, but I'm hopeful I can improve that quite quickly.

One annoying side effect is that every swim leaves me with a runny nose for the rest of the day. Very annoying. I don't know whether a nose clip will help?

No comments: