Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A sad farewell

Remembering Mortality

Today I think I finally killed my running shoes. They've done a good old stint, in fact I think they did all of last year (and maybe even some of the year before). Not great for my feet, even if it is good for my wallet.

For some time now I've had a hole in the toe of one. My big toenails just seem to angle up a bit, so I'm used to going through my socks occasionally, but this is a new one. Still, the trainers are well-ventilated anyway, one bigger hole doesn't make much difference...

But this morning I walked from home to work in them and noticed my heel was a bit sore, and when I put them on for a run at lunch time, it was sore in the same place. On inspection, there was a fair old chunk missing (of my shoe, not my foot) around the inside of the heel, and I've given myself the beginnings of a blister.

So, time to retire these, probably my 6th or 7th pair of Saucony Triumphs, and move on to... another pair. They're half a size smaller (they were in a sale at almost a third of the price of the size I wanted, although that size has always been roomy) and I can't wait to find out whether that was a false economy...hmmm.

 Run: 3.5 miles in (mumble) 34 minutes or so (no watch). Slow start, strong middle and end, beautiful beautiful day.

Top photo: Remembering Mortality by Andrew Stawarz, on Flickr

No comments: