Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Exploratory run and a few good tunes

Thought I would head out for a gentle run to see how the arm/side held up - things had been feeling a bit better over the day. It wasn't quite the easiest run ever, but nor was it the worst I've had. The main thing was not clearing my throat, as the coughing movement was about the worst thing I could do, whereas running itself was not really a problem and even breathing hard was OK. I did seize up a bit for about 20 minutes after I got back, but that's not a big concern for me on race day.

I think as long as I can keep ticking over with a few small, easy runs, and at least one (also easy) bike and swim, I'll be fine.

I decided to run with music again, just in case I needed helping through the run, and this time used my mp3 player's SenseMe feature, where it had scanned my library and put the tracks into categories like Upbeat and Energetic. I went with energetic, and while some of the choices were a bit ropey (Frank Sinatra's New York New York, and the Star Wars theme), it turned out to be inspired to start with a bit of ISIHAC*. Others were right on. In particular, in the last bit of the run I was delighted to get She's So Lovely to help me up the hill on Cantley Lane, and then Kirsty MacColl kicked in with There's A Guy Works Down The Chip Shop Swears He's Elvis and it was blast off. Pain in the side or no, I was running with a grin and a turn of speed. After that, Moxy Früvous popped up with My Baby Loves A Bunch Of Authors and it was all over. Nice one :)

* One Song To The Tune Of Another: Rob Brydon singing Who Do You Think You Are Kidding Mister Hitler to the tune of the Carpenters' Yesterday Once More. Unofficial mp3 from here. Sublime....

55 minutes - 5.6miles, 9:56/mile. Significant difference between the first 40 minutes (3.9mi, 10:13/mi) and last 15 (1.7mi, 9:16/mi) - not that 40 mins was the boundary between slow and fast, but I just happened to look at my watch then.

No comments: