Sunday, March 1, 2009

First bike ride of 2009?!

Yes, really. That's quite shameful - no rides in Jan or Feb!

Ah well. Despite being late it was a good start to the year's biking. Just short of 43 miles at an average of 16.5mph. Over to Trish and Rob's at Shipdham via the usual Hingham route, back via the more main roads (Watton road, Hethersett road). Route is here.

I'm short of my bike computer still, but I took some splits in km using my watch and Bikemap:

30:22 - home to Stanfield Rd, 12.5km - 24.7km/h (15.3mph)
20:25 - Stanfield Rd to Deopham, 8.75km - 25.7km/h (15.9mph)
34:22 - Deopham to Shipdham, 15.25km - 26.6km/h (16.5mph)
23:35 - Shipdham to Hingham, 10.25km - 26km/h (16.1mph)
48:27 - Hingham to home, 22km - 27.2km/h (16.9mph)

That's pretty good going I think. It was easier to get speed up and sustain it on the way back, as I was on more main roads, but I really enjoyed the whole ride, and remembered why I love getting on the bike. Heading up High Oak, I was going slowly and even though it was a manky grey day there was a skylark singing, no traffic... lovely. Flocks of pigeons clattering up out of the fields as I passed, horses peering curiously over hedges, goldfinches bursting out of the hedgerows, crocuses and snowdrops on the verges... can't wait till we get a bit of sunshine too!

It makes me think it was worthwhile spending over 3 hours cleaning and adjusting the bike yesterday. Wouldn't have had to spend so long if I had done a proper job after the last ride, so made sure I did a proper job after today's. All cleaned and lubed and ready for the next one.

No comments: