Sunday, May 17, 2009

Wet 'n' windy

Out on the bike for the first time in about a month, spangly bibshorts and base layer (from Decathlon the other week) on test. The route was over to Rosie's at Hethersett, then over to the Bungay road via a slightly hairy crossing of the A140, Bungay, Harleston, Attleborough and then home. There was a lot of head and side wind, and a fair few showers as well, so tough going at times.

Total (including to Hethersett and back) was 115km for me, a bit more than I ideally wanted, but not too bad. I knew the other guys were always on for 60 miles, but I think it was tougher mentally just due to me being geared up for the idea of 90km! I was a bit dismayed to reach Besthorpe and then head for Hethersett via High Oak and Great Melton, but the cake at the end made it all worthwhile...

Bib shorts and base layer were a bit much when the sun came out. That extra layer, however thin, does make a difference. That said, I like the way the bibs don't cut me in half like normal shorts. And I welcomed the long arms when the rain was really coming down! The top is thin enough to dry quickly, which was just as well.

I was disappointed/annoyed to get a p*ncture (in my new blue "resistant" tyres!!) within about half a mile of leaving Rosie's - to make things worse I only noticed it as we were setting off after Rob had fixed something that was up with his back wheel. At least the hole was easily identifiable (due to the lethal shard of white flint embedded in it) and could be patched without removing the tube completely. Coupled with the new CO2 inflator (lifesaver) we were on the road again quite quickly, and not troubled by the p*ncture fairy for the rest of the ride.

The raised seat seems to be working well, and I'm getting good power from my legs without too much fatigue. However, I still need to get used to sitting on it by standing on the pedal as I push off. I fudged this a couple of times at road junctions, including one where everyone else went off and failed to notice I wasn't there! I also need to get used to unclipping on the left as well as the right, which currently seems to be a bit of a mental block for me. I don't understand why this is a problem!

No comments: