Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Unlearning

Swimming was going reasonably well - apart from the pool temperature (32C - should have brought a rubber duck and some bubble bath) - until Kerry informed me that my arm stroke is all wrong. I keep my arm straight on the pull, and I should be bending it so that I can exert more force all the way through (a straight arm is not pulling much after 90 degrees). So I tried... wow. It's so difficult to unlearn something that is completely habitual, and I was swimming like a snail (can snails swim?) trying to get to grips with it. Nothing else for it but a practice at the SportsPark on Friday. Tonight's session was:

400m warm up
50m of 6 x L arm, 6 x R arm, 6/remainder x full stroke
50m kick
Repeat x 4; 20s rest after each 50

25m "normal"
25m "fast"
25m "faster"
25m recovery
Repeat x 4; 40s rest after each 100

cool down

No comments: