Wednesday, September 5, 2007

In transition

Quick run with Kate before swimming - good steady 10-min miling.

Loads of useful advice from Kerry at swimming tonight - just hope I can remember it all! If I give myself plenty of time on the day, I think I will get there. The two main lessons seemed to be "fasten helmet before touching bike" and "leave bike in correct gear", with lots of extra tips about the way to leave clothing so as not to get in a knot.

Activity wise we were a bit limited but still managed 2 lots of 400m followed by a dummy transition and a run around the high school sports field (brrrrrr). I learned some valuable lessons:

- stepping straight out of the pool and getting into your trainers makes for very wet trainers (longer transition distance on the day should hopefully allow more water to run off)
- tri suits hold more water than swim suits (which runs down your legs and into your trainers...)
- not wearing socks will lead to blisters, if 200m around the field is anything to go by

My swims were both around the 9:30 mark too. The first, without warmup, felt messy and inefficient; so did the second, because I was tired and cold!

Annoyingly I got cramp twinges on both runs - that's the only thing I'm really worried about (well, that and punctures). They seemed to be better the second time when I didn't go off like a rocket and was a bit more warmed up. My consolation is I've not had them on a run after a bike ride.

No comments: