Sunday, October 26, 2008

Grey 10k

Today's 10k in Great Yarmouth was grey, in terms of my performance and in terms of the weather and surroundings. It used to be (I think) the Promenade 10k - at least, that's the 10k run I have done in Yarmouth before. That was maybe somewhat dull in that it was a 2-lap course, but while running through the industrial wasteland of the dock area today, I kind of missed the smell of donuts and the random wandering pedestrians.

I was gunning for a PB - totally up for it, having scored 52:22 last week at Whitlingham. Surely the lack of hills and off-road sections would see me beat 51:49? I went out pretty well, but after 4km couldn't sustain the pace I had set myself. After that I had patches where I felt OK, but patches where I just had nothing. My legs might as well have been in a different time zone. Came over the line in 53:09. Hmph.

Splits: 5:15 5:00 5:04 5:02 5:22 5:40 5:18 5:34 5.30 5.21

The best thing I can take home is that at least I went out on target pace, and held that for 4k. That and the "interesting" ceramic medal... :)

Edit: I lied. Turns out I also ended up with £15 for my part in the second-placed Senior Ladies team! So that's paid for my pub lunch :)

No comments: